Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas to Me.

Despite getting completely out of hand while shopping for others during the holiday season (I almost bought my dad a Pabst Blue Ribbon t-shirt the other day, certain that it's EXACTLY what he needed), I've managed to keep it together when it comes to purchasing things for myself.

But this Christmas, I did something I've never done. Say hello to my new friend; my very first self-bought Christmas present.

IMG_0134

Isn't she lovely?

I'd been thinking about investing in a good camera for a while, ever since I lost my POS point-and-shoot in the snowy streets of New York in January. And because I think and obsess over doing things for months and months and then pick the most expensive month of the year to actually bite the bullet, it's only natural that I'd buy the camera just weeks before Christmas.

There were several challenges that almost prevent this purchase -- I thought that the universe was conspiring against me for my poor timing. But I refused to let a less than intelligent saleswoman, a personal in-store freak out about spending this money on myself during the month of December, and a domestic dispute at Best Buy that involved quite a few F-bombs and all of the shopping center's rent-a-cops rushing to the scene to prevent me from establishing my new tradition.

I pushed through. And now this beauty belongs to me.

We're still getting to know each other and I have a lot to learn. IMG_0059

But we've already shared some good times. Some laughs, even.
IMG_0120
IMG_0111
IMG_0110

Merry Christmas to me. And a very Merry Christmas to you.

IMG_0070

And while you're here, avoiding your family, you must tell me, what's the best Christmas present you ever bought yourself? Please, because I'm starting to feel bad.

3 comments:

  1. awesome!!! a camera is the most exciting gift to buy or receive. merry christmas! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, Gallman! You will LOVE your new SLR. They are awesome. Take Photography 101 at the Showcase School in Atlanta. I had no clue what I was doing until those folks enlightened me. Oh, I just bought myself a 50mm lens...feeling very guilty about it but it is so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you spolied yourself! You deserve to treat yourself well!

    ReplyDelete